It is very easy to set this kind of activity at home what you need is a tray, 2 bowls, marbles (or any objects that can transfer by tongs).
This activity aims are refine children eye hand co-ordination, fine motor skill and introduce the concept of left to right. You can introduce this activity for your child when he/she is 2.5 years old or above.
- Introduce the material and activity to the child.
- Bring the child to the shelf where the transfer object with tongs material is kept and have him to carry the material on the work area.
- Show the child how to hold the tongs with pencil grip.
- Holding the tongs with three dominant fingers of right hand, and start transferring the marbles to empty right bowl.
- Transferring the marbles one at a time until the left bowl is empty.
- Checks for spillage, if any. Pick it up with pencil grip and place it in the right bowl.
- Transferring the marbles back to the left bowl in the same way which has presented before.